On 15 May 2021, Square Enix released some more information about the highly anticipated next expansion to the popular MMORPG, FINAL FANTASY XIV.
In short, there will be a new melee DPS class called Reaper, who will join Lancer and Samurai, and the ability to create a male Viera (for the first time). Eventually female Hrothgar will be an option, but no date has been set for when this will happen.
As I mentioned in my first post, it seems that Endwalker will be heavily inspired by FINAL FANTASY IV as a lot of the themes from that game, including After Story, are going to be a big part of this MMO’s expansion game. This coincides with the announcement that there will be a new mount, the Lunar Whale, and also three new minions, Edge, Rosa and Rydia (all characters from FINAL FANTASY IV) being available to purchase through the Mog Station store.
You can watch the full cinematic trailer for the new expansion below along with an expanded version of some epic tracks by Square Enix’s famed composer Soken Masayoshi:
The cinematic trailer reveals some interesting story titbits as well as some interesting locations that we will be visiting.
The Reaper looks like a fun class to play. The reveal trailer showcases a fiercesome melee damage dealer with a scythe and black clothing to boot. It seems that Reaper will be able to call upon a demonic looking spirit called the Reaper’s Avatar during some of its combos. In addition to being fun, it looks to be a flashy, visually appealing class. I just hope the visual effects from this class and the new visual effects from other class skills don’t completely overwhelm my computer’s graphics card.
The reveal trailer for the new melee DPS job, Reaper, is below:
It looks like Zenos yae Galvus will change class from Samurai to Reaper and Alphinaud Leveilleur will change class from Scholar to become a Sage in this expansion.
Endwalker will makes its debut on 23 November 2021.
Here is a list of changes that Endwalker will bring to the MMO:
- Journey to Thavnair, the imperial capital of Garlemald, and even the moon!
- New Jobs: Reaper and Sage
- A New Playable Race: Male Viera
- Level Cap Increase from 80 to 90
- New Cities: Old Sharlayan and Radz-at-Han
- Travel to expansive new areas, including Labyrinthose, Mare Lamentorum, Thavnair, and Garlemald.
- New Tribes to Encounter: Loporrits and the Arkasodara
- New Threats to Overcome: The Magus Sisters and Anima
- Many New Dungeons to Explore
- New High-Difficulty Raid: Pandæmonium
- A New Alliance Raid Series: Myths of the Realm
- A New Small-scale PvP Mode
- Estinien Wyrmblood joins the lineup of Trust NPCs
- A New Residential District: Ishgard
- Updates to the Gold Saucer
- Relaxing Fun in Island Sanctuary
- New Gear to Collect and Recipes to Craft
- A New Data Center: Oceania
- Expanded Horizons via the Data Center Travel System
- New figurines, soundtracks and artbooks for collectors
When the expansion was initially announced, Square Enix told players who own the PlayStation 4 version of the game that they would be eligible for a free upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version. The PlayStation 5 version will come with 4K support, improved visuals, and really fast loading, e.g. teleportation speed.
I am looking forward to hearing more about about this expansion and hope you do too.
You can see the new ‘race’ male Viera here: