On 6 November 2021, Square Enix released the launch trailer for the much anticipated expansion to Final Fantasy XIV along with some news that the game’s release date has been pushed back from 23 November 2021 to 7 December 2021. It has been explained that the immensity of the changes meant that the development team needed extra time to fix some issues before giving the green light.
Boy… what an epic trailer. The trailer shows some story elements, new dungeons and new bosses including elements of the boss fight with the formidable Final Fantasy X aeon, Anima and Magus Sisters (based on their Final Fantasy IV attire). This trailer seems even more epic than previous ones thanks to the powerful narrations from our much loved allies, like Alphinaud and Y’shtola, and adversaries, like Zenos, along with some fantastic Soken soundtracks. (I have a feeling that the soundtracks for Endwalker is going to be really, really good.)
I’m usually here for the story. With all these trailers, the story in Endwalker is shaping up to be epic in so many ways. Thanks to the great stories in Heavensward and Shadowbringers, I have faith that we will see some really good conclusion to some of the long running sagas, but at the same time I really interested to see how they set up the future stories in the Final Fantasy XIV universe. I have a feeling we may also be saying farewell to one or two of our much loved heroes.
“The final days are truly upon us”
“Are you prepared… to meet the end?”
The website provides a short synopsis of the game’s narrative:
Yet shadowed by their triumph in the First, the Warrior of Light and Scions of the Seventh Dawn are home at last. An even greater calamity than refulgent oblivion has been building in their absence, however─a second advent of the Final Days. Should all despair, the myriad conflicts that now ravage the land cannot but foretoken an end to life in the Source.
Take heart in the faith of those who walk beside you, and journey ever higher─to the very stars above.
Upon the advent of these Final Days, we recall…
Once, the world was whole, its people blessed─ere a great calamity threatened all in existence. The approach of the so-called “Final Days” caused a great schism among the ancients, culminating in the star’s shattering into fourteen reflections, incomplete and imperfect. With the second coming of that selfsame calamity looming on the horizon, the Warrior of Light must stand firm as hope’s last bastion.
You can watch the launch trailer yourself here:
Remember, here is a list of all the changes with Endwalker when patch 6.0 goes live:
- New jobs: Sage and Reaper
- A new playable race: male Viera
- Level cap increase from 80 to 90
- New cities: Old Sharlayan and Radz-at-Han
- Travel to expansive new areas, including Labyrinthos, Thavnair, Garlemald, and Mare Lamentorum
- New tribes to encounter: Loporrits and the Arkasodara
- New threats to overcome, including Anima and the Magus Sisters
- New dungeons
- A new high-difficulty raid: Pandæmonium
- A new alliance raid series: Myths of the Realm
- New Small-scale PvP Content
- An additional Trust ally: Estinien Wyrmblood
- A new residential district: Ishgard
- Updates to the Gold Saucer
- Relaxing fun in Island Sanctuary
- New gear and crafting recipes
- A new data center: Oceania (in February 2022)
- Expanded horizons via the Data Center Travel System
If you pre-order the game, you will get an accessory that will grant you extra experience to help your characters reach level 80. Also, you will need to ensure that you complete the main story quests up until patch 6.0 to be able to play the Endwalker story beats.